In March 2021, a revised version of Adalm-Pluto Revision D was released. Version C was identical to version B (without the 2 blue wires). Analog Device has released new information regarding revision D. Since the firmware is the same between revision D and revision C, the firmware identifies and recognizes revision D hardware as revision C. More information and the Adalm-Pluto Revision D diagram can be found at: . Overview and discussion can be found on the AMSAT forum: the post ADALM-PLUTO development kit for (not only) Es’hail-2 satellite , I described my experiences with the previous hardware version of Adalm-Pluto. After the PCB was damaged, I decided to order a new one. As expected, I got the Adalm-Pluto Revision D.After checking that Pluto works with SDR Console, I started to adapt the board to my system.Note – if you see a “Failed to enumerate available contexts” message after connecting Pluto to your computer, it may be an IP address conflict. In the address field of the browser, enter the default Pluto address If a device other than Pluto appears, change “ipaddr =” in config.txt to a different address, not used in the local network server’s address pool. After saving the config.txt file, perform the operation “– Eject PlutoSDR (X:)“. It’s about the drive, not the entire device! Don’t disconnect Pluto!First of all, I made the “hack” modifications described in ADALM-PLUTO development kit for (not only) Es’hail-2 satellite . For this purpose, I used the PuTTY terminal program with the following settings: Serial – COMxx – 112500 (where xx is the COM port number at which Pluto appears in the system). After clicking “Open” I entered login: root and Password: analog. After Pluto appeared, I entered the commands:
# fw_setenv attr_name compatible
# fw_setenv attr_val ad9364
# fw_setenv maxcpus
# pluto_reboot reset

In the next step, I removed the board from the plastic housing and made the recommended connection (using a wire) of the USB connector cases with the GND point. Then I mounted the board in a metal housing and made connections to the PTT board: ground, + 5V (pad of unsoldered capacitor C185), GPIO0 and GPIO1. I connected the 40 MHz signal from the Pluto-clocker  board to the appropriate IPEX socket (see below).


To switch the source of the 40 MHz signal generator from internal to external, enter the command (after starting PuTTY or a similar terminal):
# fw_setenv refclk_source external

After restarting Pluto, I launched SDR Console – the screen showed characteristic peaks from the QO-100 satellite, but shifted upwards by about 9.6 kHz.

After downloading PlutoDVB perseverance firmware 0303: (26.6M) and the patch PlutoDVB Patch Detection Hardware Revision firmware perseverance – you need to unpack them. To install the new firmware, copy the pluto.frm file to the Adalm-Pluto disk. Then perform the operation “- Eject PlutoSDR (X :)”. It’s about the drive, not the entire device! The LED on the left side of Pluto starts flashing rapidly. Wait a few minutes until it returns to normal. The USB cable must not be disconnected during the update! Adalm-Pluto will appear in Windows as PlutoSDR (X :). Please run info.html – Let’s go to PlutoDVB (on USB connection) – Main mode selection: Passthrough (SDR Console,…) – Apply Settings.

To install the above-mentioned patches, click System – Maintenance, find the folder with unpacked files PlutoDVB Patch Detection Hardware Revision firmware perseverance 0303, and click: Upload. After loading is complete, select: Reboot the Pluto.

If the frequency shift problem in the SDR Console described above stil exist, try:
– reinstalling the firmware version “perseverance 0303
– remove old patches in Adalm-Pluto (System-Maintenance…)
– install the latest patch F5EOE
– running (just in case) “hack” modifications
– # fw_setenv refclk_source external
– # fw_setenv ad936x_ext_refclk_override ‘<40000000>’

As a result, Pluto with SDR Console should work as it should, with the following settings: RX Offset 9.750.000.000 TX Offset 8.089.500.000. Even after the Pluto reset.




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *